(Tips and Do’s & Don’ts)
Have you been growing a beard for a while but the results are disappointing? Do you experience bald patches or an incomplete beard? Beard growth is hereditary: for instance, men with dark hair tend to have fuller beards than blond men. But for every problem there is a solution. By taking proper care of your beard, you can encourage beard growth.
Why read on…
In this article, The Beard Man explains step by step what you can do to stimulate beard growth as well as what you really shouldn’t do. In desperation, some men use the wrong products which only makes things worse in the long run. Follow The Beard Man’s tips and you’ll promote hair growth in a healthy and responsible way.
In this article, we discuss:
- Beard growth in general: causes & how decisive your lifestyle is
- Stimulating beard growth: how?
- Accelerating beard growth: what steps to take?
An attractive, full beard can be developed together with The Beard Man: our focus is on a well-groomed beard by giving it the right attention. Here we do not do marketing talk, but only give tips that are scientifically proven.
Beard growth in general
The rate of hair growth on your body depends largely on genes. Some people’s hair grows faster than others. Whether you take full advantage of the ‘speed potential’ of your beard growth depends on your lifestyle. Healthy beard growth starts with a healthy lifestyle. But what exactly are other causes of limited hair growth, bald patches or uncovered areas?
Causes of slow or limited beard growth
By looking at the causes of slow beard growth, we know immediately how to encourage beard growth:
- Age: for a large number of young men, beard growth does not start until the age of 20 or older, but it can start as early as 15.
- Genes: beard growth is largely genetic.
- Stress: during stress, the hormone cortisol is produced which causes a build-up in the sebaceous glands resulting in limited hair growth and even hair loss.
- Not enough nutrients: your body needs the right amount and combination of nutrients to perform optimally. Vitamins H (biotin), C and A, in particular, play an important role in hair growth and the protection of hair follicles.
- Testosterone hormone: for various reasons, not enough testosterone can be produced which plays an important role in new beard growth. That means less smoking, drinking and more strength training in the bedroom and in the gym.
- Acne scars: in areas of scarring due to acne, for example, hair growth is not always possible.
- Resting phase hair follicle: the hair follicle naturally alternates between growth and resting phases. In a growth phase, activated hair follicles are fully engaged in producing new facial hair, but in the resting phase nothing happens.
- No proper grooming: healthy skin under your beard is important. With the right beard care, you can improve your skin which will promote beard growth.
Promoting healthy beard growth: what’s most important?
The internet is full of beard growth stimulating products and myths that claim to have you walking around with a full beard in no time. Despite the fact that such products can give an extra boost to hair growth, The Beard Man prefers to take an approach that is natural.
Natural beard growth stimulating products in Britain are available in online stores, the drug store and the supermarket
It’s no abracadabra: to boost your hair growth you need two things: a healthy lifestyle and proper beard care. If you do these two things right then you can maintain a fuller beard.
- A healthy lifestyle
It has been scientifically proven that a healthy lifestyle contributes to healthier skin and more beard growth. This means eating a varied diet, exercising a lot (preferably strength training), getting enough sleep and not drinking and smoking too much.
What should you eat?
There are a number of nutrients your body needs to create new hair and thus promote beard growth.
- Vitamin H or biotin: eggs, nuts, dairy, beans and mushrooms
- Vitamin E: seeds and nuts are full of vitamin E, but using nut oils is also recommended.
- Vitamin C: guava, pineapple, strawberries, broccoli and kale
The hormone testosterone is made from cholesterol. A high-fat diet rich in unsaturated fatty acids can boost testosterone production. You can find the good fats in nuts, seeds, avocados, and oily fish or high-quality oils.
- The right beard care
How can you speed up beard growth through proper grooming? To answer this, The Beard Man would first like to explain to you how hair growth works.
To produce new hair, you need hair follicles located deep in the skin. The hair follicle makes cells thanks to nutrients delivered by small blood vessels. This makes good circulation and healthy skin extra important.
Keeping your skin clean ensures optimal circulation and maximum absorption of nutrients. In addition to a healthy lifestyle (for the right nutrients) and the right care for healthy skin (nutrient absorption), you can get the most out of your beard growth.
Beard growth remedy: which ones to avoid?
On the internet, you will come across several remedies that help accelerate beard growth. Although remedies like minoxidil and biotin can provide an extra boost to hair growth, they can also have a negative impact on other parts of the body. Which miracle remedies do we often see come along?
- Minoxidil: The Beardman advises against the use of minoxidil, as there are several side effects. This is because this drug affects the production of several hormones.
- Biotin: this is a supplement. With a healthy lifestyle, you get enough biotin. So why take supplements?
- Spray: we see beard growth sprays or beard growth oil quite often. It is difficult to say anything about these as their effectiveness depends on the active ingredients.
Roadmap: how to grow a beard faster?
For healthy beard growth, The Beard Man has a step-by-step plan you can use to stimulate it.
We will leave a healthy lifestyle aside for the moment. Although this is incredibly important, I feel the internet is already full of it. Try to exercise 3 – 4 times a week, eat three times a day and get enough sleep. A diet with healthy fats and plenty of fruits and vegetables helps with testosterone production and beard hair production.
Reducing stress also really helps with promoting beard growth. But this is easier said than done. Life is not always easy – but above all, don’t stress too much about your beard growth, says The Beard Man.
TIP FROM THE BEARD MAN:
Swap your bag of crisps for a handful of nuts at the end of the day and start the day with a bowl of yogurt.
Daily grooming routines
Find out exactly what are the right products to use and how often you should use them:
Shampoo and Conditioner: 5 – 7 times a week
Beard scrub: once a week
This is what many people don’t do: exfoliate the beard. This will remove dead skin cells that you won’t remove with a normal beard shampoo.
Beard oil or beard serum: daily
Apply a beard oil or serum after showering. These give the beard a nice shine and provide the right nutrients and hydration for the beard.
Beard growth set or kit
On the internet you can find handy beard growth kits that contain everything you need to properly groom your beard. Wondering what the best beard growth kit is for your new beard? With this beard growth kit, your beard hairs will grow faster than ever!
Dig around in popular online shops and your local supermarket for the best buy of a beard growth kit in Britain.
Beard roller: what is a derma roller?
Many men use a beard roller to stimulate beard growth. A derma roller has about 200 tiny needles that make tiny holes in your skin. These tiny holes make it easier to absorb the active ingredients. A beard roller is often used in combination with a beard growth serum or minoxidil (the one we do not recommend).
Neofollics beard growth serum is a well-known brand of beard growth serum. Using neofollics beard growth serum is often recommended in combination with the beard roller.
Is it safe?
The Beard Man has no objection to using a derma roller. The damage from the tiny holes is minimal and your skin will recover quickly. However, you should be careful of overuse and we advise against using minoxidil.
Does it work?
Using a derma roller every now and then has positive effects on your beard growth and getting a fuller beard. The derma roller makes small holes that allow nutrients and active ingredients from the serum to be absorbed more easily. We recommend just giving it a try and seeing if it works for you.
Tips to stimulate beard growth
Normally, a healthy lifestyle and good beard care should already ensure maximum beard growth. Ultimately, it has a lot to do with genes and you can’t influence them. What else can you do to get a fuller beard?
- Face massage: this promotes blood flow and thus nutrients can reach the hair follicles more easily.
- Beard growth serum: a beard growth serum provides the activated hair follicles with the right nutrients needed to promote beard growth. You can find the best beard growth serum here.
- Beard growth oil: a special beard growth oil might work better than a normal beard oil, as the ingredients are specially tailored for beard growth.
Hair no longer grows in some open spots. What is the best way to hide bald spots in your beard? Bald spots can be filled in with an eye pencil, but also by smart trimming.
Uneven beard growth
Uneven beard growth occurs in almost all men. But what can you do about it? How can you promote hair growth around areas where less hair grows?
The ultimate goal is to achieve a full beard. You may have a reasonably developed beard, but would like to have more facial hair. Growing a full beard can take up to six months, but should be visible within three months. Keep those beard hairs coming!
Frequently Asked Questions
We regularly get questions about remedies and grooming techniques that help the beard grow faster. A full and well-groomed beard doesn’t just happen; it requires hard work.
Androgen hormone, also known as the male hormone like DHEA and testosterone, causes hair growth. You encourage the body to make more testosterone by doing a lot of strength training and eating a high-fat diet. This is because your body needs cholesterol to make testosterone. There are also special pills or creams to boost testosterone production and thus get more facial hair, but we advise against this. After all, you don’t want to unbalance your hormones.
Sure, by living healthy and giving your beard the right care. Growing a beard happens faster if you get all the nutrients you need, exercise and get enough sleep. It is especially important to take optimum care of the skin, as this is where the hair follicles are located. There are remedies to promote beard growth, but these are often not recommended. A dermaroller, on the other hand, can help.
Most beard growth remedies work, but we advise against their use. Drugs such as minoxidil and biotin are recommended on the internet. The former is often used in combination with a dermaroller, but can have several side effects. Biotin is safe, but with the right diet, you won’t need supplements.
This is a myth but your hair does not seem to grow faster after shaving and the thickness also remains the same. How this fable came into the world is unclear, but many websites still sell it as the truth.
This could be genetic, but age also has an influence. If you are under 20 years old, beard growth may take a while. In adult men, limited hair growth is usually caused by an unhealthy lifestyle. Stress, alcohol and drinking are particularly culprits. Eating more of certain nutrients and regularly taking care of your beard and the underlying skin could speed up your beard growth.